Thursday, October 16, 2008

My New Motto

I have a new motto which I choose to live by, and that is, "I choose to live!". I received this profound Revelation two days ago while I was walking on the treadmill for the first time in many many months. I was thinking about where my daily choices have gotten me, and for a million different reasons my choices have gotten me to a point in my life that I am severely obese and unhappy.

The big shocker came to me last Thursday when I was at a recent doctor's visit and had to get on the scale. 353 pounds!!! What did that just say!? I had gained over 20 pounds since my last visit in July, just three months ago. After getting over the shock, I was very depressed for days, then I decided I had a choice. I could either continue on the same path and have a very poor quality of life and eventually die from my poor choices or I can do something about it. This was Tuesday. That afternoon when the kids got home we headed to my gym, that I already had a membership to. And I bought a scale that I didn't exceed the weight limit, for further accountability.

The reason I chose the word 'live' over 'life' in my motto is that I don't just want to be alive. I am alive now, but far from healthy. I live with chronic pain from being so overweight. I want to really live, be healthy, happy and live life to the fullest. So I have this new motto. I have had to tell myself it many many times a day to remind me to make the kinds of choices that will get me to my goal of being healthy.

I don't have a set weight loss goal in mind yet. I think maybe I will start with 230. That is what I weighed when I got married. That is a huge loss of 123 pounds, a bit of an overwhelming task if I look at all that I have to loose so I will just take it one day at a time and remind myself constantly that I CHOOSE to LIVE, then act like I really do!

3 comments:

Richelle said...

Christine, you inspire me! You have laid yourself out on the line and and are holding yourself accountable. You can do it and I will be cheering you on!

Michelle said...

Wow! That seriously brought tears to my eyes. I am also inspired by you - I know you can do it!

patrice davies said...

I am also inspired by you. That is why I am your friend. Because you inspire me, basically. Just Kidding.